Tuesday, May 10, 2005

4th Attempt

Yes, pepper biscuits have become a major thorn in my side. In case you missed my ranting about this, here's an update; Momma sent me the recipe & it didn't look right to me so I added an extra teaspoon of pepper-BIG MISTAKE! One bite & smoke was coming out of our ears, eyes were tearing & nose was running. 2nd time around I followed her directions & it was still too spicy. A friend had to eat them with milk(gross!)to put out the fire in his mouth. Then I went to RI & Momma gave me a totally different recipe than the one she sent me. It's the "real" one, she said. That didn't work out at all. It was oily & wouldn't cook through & yes, still too hot. So I begged her to call her niece Rita & get her version. She did, but, before she handed it over, she increased the pepper & fennel seed amounts. They were each 1 teaspoon less than in her "real" recipe, so I thought that it would be o.k. How was the 4th attempt? The consistency was perfect but, I'm going with a little less pepper & fennel seeds next time. In other words, Rita was right. Her version was perfect & no ingredient increase was needed. Yes, I will have to make them again!!! I used to love pepper biscuits but, I swear, once the recipe is perfected, I'm never touching them again. At least not for a very long time.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 11:40 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

111581673610537000">  

At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following the pepper biscuit saga on the edge of my seat. I CAN'T WAIT to get this book and try the recipes I've watched you (via this blog) perfect. Wonderful indearing process that I think you should find a way to include, at least in part, in the book. Just a thought. YOU ROCK

 
111587723873376074">  

At 1:53 AM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Regina,
Yes, you are right, I have to include my recipes struggles & mishaps in the book. As always, thanks for you support.

 
111598424588964027">  

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Dawn...you have been as busy as ever I see! Your struggles with the pepper biscuits have achieved biblical proportions, so you'd better immortalize them in your cookbook! I'm just sayin'....;-)

Moira

 
4300377081987907250">  

At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another former RI-er relocated in NYC, I'm struggling with the family pepper biscuit recipe. There are really two varieties of pepper bscuits sold in the bakeries. One is bready, slightly soft, the other is very crunchy, and a bit more oily. The recipe my mother gave me is tasty, but turns out the bready, soft pepper biscuits. My husband and I really prefer the crunchier variety that my (recently deceased) Aunt Angie made. Which kind of pepper biscuit does your familly make? Any advice?

 
4170038047795568559">