Thursday, April 21, 2005

Chain Of Fools

Don't you all just love receiving unexpected, inspirational emails from friends? You know, ones that have funny quotes, or a poem or words of wisdom from a well known figure. So why then are there little chain letters attached to the end of them?! Chain/email letters are evil! Last night after a long, long, day at the restaurant I came home & took a quiz sent to me by a friend. It was all about dreams, wishes & even the Dalai Lama was mentioned. I felt pretty good once I read my results until I came to the part that said - IF YOU WANT YOUR WISH TO COME TRUE YOU MUST FORWARD THIS QUIZ TO SUCH & SUCH NUMBER OF PEOPLE/S. Now, I've read a couple of the Dalai Lama's books & even went to hear him speak last summer in Central Park. We're not friends or anything & I don't know him personally, but I just don't think he wants his name attached to any kind of chain letter.
I get them from well meaning friends all the time. Even my mom sent me one once. It was something about women being fabulous. It said something like; SOMEONE OUT THERE THINKS YOU'RE GREAT! NOW SEND THIS TO 5 FEMALES IN YOUR LIFE WHO ARE WONDERFUL, TOO. Ha!!! It's a chain letter, though disguised a bit.
Remember when we were young, before the internet & emails, & we'd get one of these buggers in our mailbox? There was never a return address & sometimes it didn't even go through the postal system. My mother & I would kind of freak out over them. Who sent us this & why? What did we do to deserve this? We would throw them away, but everything that went wrong for the next couple of days was attributed to the nasty letter.
So, if you love me, like me or respect me, or even if you feel none of the above, please do not send me anything that I have to forward to any other being in order for it to come true. Yes, I'm a little superstitious, so chain letters do stress me out! Whew!!! I'm glad I got that off my chest. I hope all of my dreams still come true. Knock on wood.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 4:37 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

111419813098471603">  

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so in agreement with you on this. I used to get forwarded chainletter emails all the time from well meaning friends, relatives and students. If it got out of hand, I'd just send them a nice email back saying, thanks for thinking of me, but I'm so busy right now I don't have time to keep up with chain emails. They'd usually understand...or at least pretend like it anyway.

 
111421987849887486">  

At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, get those chain mail emails all the time from family members and friends. I admit that after years of receiving them, I've learned to simply delete them...withOUT a twinge of guilt. :)

 
111426459442909388">  

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Jessica Moreau Berry said...

OK...This will be the 2nd time I try to leave a comment...hmmmm...what was I saying??? hahaha!

NO twinge of guilt here! I HATE those damn chain mail letters!

Dawn, I got the journal, and your pages are wonderfully creative! Now I have to figure out how to make the journal bigger!

 
111457489354916083">  

At 12:08 AM, Blogger kenju said...

I also hate chain letters, and a very computer savvy person told me they can be a way for spammers to get new addresses and also a way to spread viruses and trojan horses. I don't forward them anymore, except I return them to the person who sent them to me. That'll teach 'em.

 
111457491871844753">  

At 12:08 AM, Blogger kenju said...

I forgot to say that Michele sent me....duh!

 
2173537469218884154">   4024435968169307376">