Thursday, July 21, 2005

A Gluten-Free Life?

Friday evening we are going to a food tasting for the wedding. A night spent eating hors d'oeuvres, pasta & every dessert under the sun would usually fill me with glee, but, not this time. I found out less than 2 weeks ago that I'm allergic to wheat & gluten. I didn't share earlier because I was in a state of denial. How can an Italian girl who is writing a cookbook with Italian recipes not eat bread or pasta? Yes, I did cry a bit when I found out, although I really wasn't surprised. I've suspected it for some time. I'm dealing with it as best I can. When life gives you lemons make lemonade - or at the very least, gluten-free pasta.

I met with a nutritionist yesterday & on Monday I begin a 3 week cleanse. Here's what I can not eat; wheat, gluten, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, corn, strawberries, citrus, bananas, peanuts, cashews, all soy foods, all dairy foods including butter, vinegar, alcohol & I can only have 2 eggs twice a week. AHHHGHH!!!F****ing sum-in-a-**tch!!@!!!

Once the 3 weeks of hell are over, I get to slowly test all of foods that are on the not list to see if I get sick from them. Then, I take all of those foods that make me feel poopy & I test my tolerance threshold for each of them. So basically, everyday I increase the amount of these foods until my body just can't take it anymore or I burst into flames, whatever comes first. JOY!!! The entire process can take up to 5 months. DOUBLE JOY!!

Yes, I do know that by the end of all of the testing I'll be glad that I did this. No more sinus infections, congestion, wheezing, coughing, mountains of mucus. No more stomach aches, constipation, bloating, runs, & rashes. Heck, I might even begin to sleep through the entire night without waking up at least five times.

So, how am I going to finish the cookbook? Well, 13 recipes are done & will soon be tested by some beloved friends. That leaves 13 more to test. Half of them I can eat & half I can not. I'm going to have to rely on the tastebuds of Tom & friends & co-workers on those. I know that everything will be just fine. Now, I really want to get this book done, so I can begin testing gluten-free versions of all of my fav Italian recipes.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 4:41 AM 8 comments

8 Comments:

112197955996595303">  

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

OH, Dawn! I'm so sorry that you got such upsetting news! But, I'm happy that now you'll learn what to avoid eating in order to have a healthier life.
I'm also sure that your friends will love taste testing the foods you make for the recipes for the cookbook.
Also, just think of this -- you already have the title of the NEXT cookbook that you will write! "Gluten-Free Italian"! A whole new recipe collection for those who have the same needs that you do.
{{{BIG HUGS}}}} to you!

 
112203919816915958">  

At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, Dawn. This has got to be the worst timing huh? At least your committed to finding your problem. Most people automatically assume it's dairy. If I can help in any way let me know and I will get you my email and/or cell#. Big hugs to you my friend.

 
112226724424317689">  

At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Dawn! Kudos for doing what you need to do to feel healthy. So sorry it's put a damper on your recipe testing...but as others said, I'm sure Tom and pals will be happy to take up the slack. And think how creative you can be with your next book! :)

 
112230053155764394">  

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

You gals are the best!!!
Pat, yes I think gluten-free Italian will be the next project.
Regina, yes I'd love your contact info. It would be so nice to email or chat with you.
Jenn, I'm a bit worried about dining out. I don't want to become one of those customers that I dread waiting on.
Giao, Hi girl!! Yes, my doctor said that so many people are being diagnosed with this allergy that there's definitely a market for it.
Marilyn, Tom & friends are actually pretty excited to become the official taste testers. My loss is their gain.

 
115499651156150275">  

At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
» » »

 
5289276668097942955">   5320198592389155789">   3693114216969800411">