Monday, August 01, 2005

Computer Aches

Most of my weekend was spent sitting in front of the computer. Applause goes out to all of you who sit and work in front of one all day. It's difficult! My back is aching, my head hurts and I'm feeling kind of cross-eyed today. I was typing up the finished recipes the way that they'll appear in the book. Fifteen are ready to be sent off to some helpful friends and family who volunteered to test them. I must admit that I'm a bit nervous about it. What if people can't follow them? I've been working on them for over a year and God knows, how I've struggled with some of them. I hope that I've made them easy and clear enough, even though some of these recipes are a bit difficult and time consuming. My goal was to make this book for the general public and people with a bit of food knowledge, but not professional chefs. After all, I'm not a professional chef, nor do I want to be.

I'm also having a hard time letting some of these recipes go. It's as if they've become my babies. I'm beginning to understand why some Italian women wouldn't pass on they're food knowledge. There is something very special about cooking for people and watching the joy on their faces when they taste your creations. Tom always asks, "When are you going to make me a gravy? or, I'm not feeling so well, your chicken soup would really make me feel better." It does make one feel a bit powerful.

I know that these feelings shall pass. And I'm sure I'll feel joy when people try these recipes on their own and like them. But, I'm having Tom test my gravy. I just can't let that one out of the family, yet.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 1:14 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

112293496583753839">  

At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit that cooking is WAY down on my list of things that I like to do...but I do love to EAT! :) Your mention of your recipes feeling like your children reminded me of the episode of "Raymond" where Marie loans Deborah the ingredients to make (I forget what--her special dish)...but she switches one of the spices and even makes a fake label for it so that Deborah's version tastes awful. So I suppose it is true that Italian women are reluctant to part with their secret recipes. :)

 
112303898784051117">  

At 11:16 PM, Blogger Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Dawn -- "real" Italian women don't reveal their cooking secrets!! They have to make sure that no one can make a dish as good as they do!! LOL!!
That's why we all NEED your recipes!! You won't do that to us, would you?

 
5028050740834809302">   1698356756390176066">