Thursday, February 03, 2005

Four Agreements

I'm feeling a bit blue today. I had a very rough double at the restaurant yesterday. I got injured(not too seriously, I think) & had words at the end of the night with a new manager. Which could have been avoided if I could learn to let things roll off of me & to shut my mouth. I woke up today aching, congested & basically not feeling very good about myself. There are days when working there seems unbearable & all I want is to spend my day creating & doing the things I love. I decided that it's time for me, once again, to read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. A while back I followed the book for 5 months & things really began to change in my life(this website was born around that time).
The Agreements are:
1. BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD
Speak with integrity & say only what you mean. And do not gossip(that's so tough for me).
2.DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY
Nothing others do is because of you. You won't be the victim of needless suffering if you learn not to take things others say to heart.
3.DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS
Communicate with others clearly to avoid misunderstandings, sadness & drama.
4.ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST
Do your best & you will avoid self-judgment & regret.

O.k. that's all of them. It's much harder to follow them than you might think. I do know that following them helps me to change my attitude & focus on what's important in life. I also hope that it will help to put me back on track & refocus my creative energy & move me closer in the direction of my dreams.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 4:30 PM 6 comments

6 Comments:

110751055868674730">  

At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! The restaurant world...those days seem so long ago now. The agreements that you stated are so true, and so necessary in that line of work. I used to work as a pastry chef, but now I'm a homemaker. At first it was HARD...I mean, I really missed my job! But realizing that I had to explore other ways to vent my creative outlets was a good thing. Now I don't need to drink myself in a stupor to go to sleep. Really enjoyed reading this post! (Found you through sweetpea)
rowena @ www.xanga.com/pussicat

 
110753979576218002">  

At 12:56 PM, Blogger foodiechickie said...

Wow they are so true. I can understand how the rules can be helpful but difficult to follow. Easier said that done. We are only human. Good luck Dawn!

 
110756092969528144">  

At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Ms. Dawn...I'm feeling you on this one! I think it's great that you're going to re-read The Four Agreements, and I'm sure it will help you feel more centered and better able to deal with your job.

Take care and hang in there...Moira

 
110763393934486844">  

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Marilyn said...

Hi Dawn, found you through the Snail Mail group. I read The Four Agreements not long ago, but wasn't particularly knocked out by it. But seeing them listed here, it occurred to me that I was probably just avoiding having to LOOK at and DO them...ha! I'm gonna take another stab at them (although the gossip thing is hard for me, mainly 'cause I'm a smart-ass.) Looking forward to reading more of your blog. Hope you're feeling better.

 
115398505281922307">   2051675744881476449">