Thursday, January 27, 2005

Chops & Cookies

The next couple of weeks here in NYC are called restaurant weeks, which basically is a way for the food industry to generate some extra income during their slow months. Restaurants offer a three course price fixed menu ($20.05) for lunch or dinner. Business is booming. And lucky me, I get to work more hours/days in the beloved restaurant biz, at least for the next 9 days, 8 hrs, 480 min...oh, you get the point. I'M TIRED!!

Tuesday night I tried a new recipe that Tom found in the NY Times, cider cured pork chops served with caramelized onions & sauteed spinach. The recipe called for the chops to marinate in a brine for at least 8 hrs(I did 24). The brine consisted of salt, pepper, H2O, & apple cider. I followed everything to the letter & while the chops came out extremely moist & tender, there was one problem - THE SALT. Oh my God were the chops salty! It tasted as though they had been marinating at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean for 4 years. The onions & spinach worked out great, but the pork recipe definitely needs to be modified.

Tuesday night also consisted of lots of cookies being baked. Yes, I still was suffering from insomnia, so instead of tossing & turning in bed, or watching more HGTV, I decided to bake until I couldn't bake no more. I made about 100 cookies & sent them to Tom's office as promised. Tom & his co-workers have been bombarded with work lately, so their 9-10 hour days have increased to 12-15 hrs & weekends. They definitely needed a little pick-me-up & I hope the cookies did the trick. Here's a picture (& not a good one) of the finished product.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 3:43 AM 4 comments

4 Comments:

110690035947663913">  

At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your creative collection of cookies caused quite a commotion. Chocolate crazies couldn't control their cravings for continued creamy confections coming back to Dogmatic for copious staff comfort.

 
110692827844294124">  

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Group outing! to the restaurant that offers 3 courses for $20.05.

 
110703292228978047">  

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Thanks all for the wishes for much r & r. Last evening, I slept for 10 hours!! Amazing! Your good thoughts worked.

 
4934660999235877257">