Monday, February 21, 2005

The Gates

Yesterday Tom & I braved the cold & millions of tourists & headed to see Christos' The Gates. This art exhibit cost 20 million dollars(all of it provided by the artist himself)& took over 20 years to come to fruition. I will admit that I was somewhat skeptical, since I did see them briefly at night about a week ago. I'm not sure I would compare Christos' work to a Picasso or a Van Gogh, but there was something intriguing about it. It really was exhilarating to see bright orangey, saffron structures scattered throughout the gray concrete, trees & buildings of NYC. It made me feel giddy inside to walk under them. Everyone was strolling around Central Park smiling & laughing. What is art? That's such a difficult, unanswerable question, don't you think? What may be a masterpiece to me may be viewed as garbage by someone else. All I know is that The Gates invoked a feeling of joy & warmth in me kind of like laying on a white, sandy, tropical beach. Anything that could put so many smiles on so many faces in the dead of winter is art to me!



Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 1:22 PM 4 comments

4 Comments:

110909231863433298">  

At 12:11 PM, Blogger bex said...

so glad you enjoyed the gates! a burst of color for our dreary new york city february, oui?

 
110911064951711506">  

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Marilyn said...

"...like laying on a white sandy tropical beach"?? I'm not sure I'd go that far...KIDDING!! Actually, I wish I could see the Gates in person. The photos everyone's posting are lovely, but it would be nice to see it in person. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for posting pictures. Stay warm!

 
110917852910757318">  

At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting those pictures. I'm just sad it will be gone by the time I visit NY in April. As for art, I think for the most part, if it allows the viewer to feel some sort of emotion about the piece it is art. groovebunny

 
115516736457352320">