Thursday, December 30, 2004

New Year's Tradition

My family has been eating lentil soup on New Years' Day for as long as I can remember. I was told to eat it so that my family would make more money in the new year than in the previous one. I thought it was just some weird Italian superstition, but I found out that Brazilian & Spaniards also believe in it.
When I lived in Rhode Island my entire family & I used to go to my Aunt Chickie's house for her soup on New Year's Day. For some reason, my family believed that her soup would ensure even more wealth than my Mom's or Momma's would. Our family was so large that everyone came in & ate in shifts. We had soup, fresh Italian bread & water & that's it. Everyone & I mean everyone had to eat at least three spoonfuls of lentils. I think that's some Catholic thing, representing the Holy Trinity. Aunt Chickie's real name is Frances. She's no taller than 4ft 8in. even in her gold high heeled slippers. She has always had short blonde, fuzzy, hair & a cute little laugh, so I guess that's how she got her nickname.
I continue the tradition today in NYC. On the morning of New Year's Day, I'll throw some lentils, diced carrots & celery, barley, salt & pepper in a crock pot for about 4-5 hours. I'm passing this family secret on to all of you. Everyone deserves more prosperity in 2005. Well, not all the mega billionaries, but, all the rest of us. Hey, don't stress about making it homemade. Progresso makes a great lentil soup. Just heat it up & add some fresh grated parmesan cheese & enjoy!

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 6:33 PM 4 comments