Thursday, April 07, 2005

B-Day Wrap Up

Yesterday was my B-Day & it was a good day. I worked my lunch shift & came in to find a present from my coworker & good friend Alex(also an Aries) in my locker. It was a very generous gift certificate to the Culinary institute. They have amazing classes. I'm thinking of taking the Italian cooking technique course. At our pre shift meeting, Stacey & Lija(2 cool chicks) brought out a giant fortune cookie with a candle & the staff broke out into the happy b-day song. The cookie is stuffed with white & dark chocolate mousse. Now that's the way to start your special day - chocolate for breakfast.

I finished work at 3pm & stepped outside into the most beautiful day. The sun was shining & it was warm with a slight breeze. A perfect shopping day! I hit some stores & found a couple of bargains & then headed home to get ready for my date with Tom.

We had reservations at a place called Peasant. We first heard about it on The Food Network's Best of show. Well, they were so right about this place. The restaurant is long, narrow & romantically lit. Very rustic chic. The focal point is the kitchen which is accented with golden lights & just peeking out behind 3 exposed brick arches. Much of the food is cooked in a wood burning oven. The entire menu is in Italian & boy, was I rusty. Our waiter happily went over everything, but she had a strong European accent so much of it was lost in the translation.

We ordered a pizza margharita & an arugula & blood orange salad as starters. Both were so good. The pizza had a delicate thin crust & the sauce was light & tangy. The mozzarella was so fresh as was the basil. Tom said it was the best thin crust pizza he's ever had & he's somewhat of an expert in that field. Same goes for the salad. The arugula was perfect. Not even a slight hint of bitterness. I ordered lobster risotto for dinner & Tom had an osso bucco of beef. I didn't taste the meat(I'm not a big fan of it) but Tom was ooohing & closing his eyes while he chewed (like he's in ecstasy) so that's a good sign. Huge chunks of lobster meat graced my risotto as well as just the right combo of Parmesan & cream with hints of black peppercorns. We had a flourless chocolate cake for dessert that was so dense that it was basically fudge. HMMMM! More chocolate! Yes, I did go off of my sugarfree diet yesterday, but it was my B-Day, so I'm allowed.

My B-Day present, besides the dinner, was a gift certificate to La Perla for sexy lingerie & tickets to see Duran Duran next week at The Garden. DURAN DURAN!!! Our seats are on the floor so I'm going to try to run up to the stage & tell (or scream) John Taylor that I love him!!! I hope Tom doesn't mind.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 3:46 PM 7 comments

7 Comments:

111290354754916404">  

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Day After Your Birthday!! You got some good loot girl! I was thinking about your mushrooms last night and I think that just baking them would be good. No steaming. I always add fontina, pecorino or gorganzola to mine and get mucho compliments. Love your blog!!

 
111298889686787843">  

At 3:34 PM, Blogger . said...

Glad you had a Great Birthday, The food sounds nice!!! my mouth is drooling.

 
111300848704708334">  

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I missed it! Happy Belated Birthday!! (We were out of town and away from the 'net yesterday.) Your birthday day sounded FABULOUS!!!

P.S. Thought you might like to know that a dear friend of mine recently spent a chunk of time working on a Duran Duran video. (He's a video editor in N.Y.) I'll have to email him and ask him if he'll be at that show! :)

 
111302953200077752">  

At 2:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

delurking ;-) to wish you a Happy (belated) Birthday!
Love your blog!
Enjoy the concert...

biz (an aries too!)

 
111319948457666506">  

At 2:04 AM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Regina- Thanks for the cooking info. You're right, no steaming.

Franchini & monkey b- Welcome!! Thanks for the B-Day wishes!!

Marilyn-I know how busy you've been. And that's so cool that your friend got to work with DD. Did he get to meet them?

Biz- As in Biz Stone? Wow! I'm totally flattered. I have your book on blogging & everything. And if this isn't Mr. Stone I'm still totally flattered by the compliment!!

 
111322645043935618">  

At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, my friend has met DD as part of the DVD project. I spoke to him a couple of days ago...he said it appears the DVD will be released when their tour is finished. He's attending the N.Y. concert, too. :)

 
111340501805538389">  

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! I missed it. I haven't been poking around journals lately. Duran Duran are one of my all time fave bands! I am so envious.

That sounds like a marvellous meal you had. I was drooling as I read.

Ciao for now~ Shelagh
http://www.livejournal.com/users/blueberrymoon