Saturday, August 13, 2005

Phenomenal Woman

There are days when I read this poem & it just fills me with such joy, hope & pride. It lifts me up when I'm down. On those feeling good & sexy occasions, it multiplies all of those emotions by 10. Sometimes it is read simply for a little confidence boost. I'm off to RI this weekend for my nephew's baptism and I truly need a bit of the latter. There's no time to go into details, but, all will soon be shared. Thank you Maya Angelou for this pearl of wisdom.

PHENOMENAL WOMAN
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's the span of my hips,
The stride in my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand,
The need to care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 3:09 AM 5 comments

5 Comments:

112394362093914243">  

At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great weekend!

 
112412474497088039">  

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Dawn!
I can't believe you got Blogger spam! ( the comments post before mine) Yuck! Some people have no manners.

I LOVED the Maya Angelou poem! Thank you so much for posting that. Hope you had a beautiful time in RI this weekend!

 
112447943766250711">  

At 3:23 PM, Blogger bex said...

if you can get your hands on it, the recording of ms angelou reading her poem is *awesome*.

hang in there, phenomenal woman!

 
112465068215893412">  

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Hi Pat & Marilyn - It's always good to hear from you both.
Black B - Yes, it is amazing! Tom gave it to me as a Valentine's Day gift a few years ago. Ms. Angelou's voice & the way she recites that poem sends shivers up & down my spine.

 
1812580867653617013">