Saturday, June 17, 2006

Maine Trip

Lovely & Amazing.



That pretty much sums up my trip to Maine. It began on Friday bright & early in the mornin'. Jes met me at the airport & we waited together in anticipation for Hope's plane to arrive. Once the 3 of us New England gals were together all seemed right. We headed to downtown Portland for some thrift store shopping. And then visited Old Town, Portland (the waterfront), which kind of reminded me of Newport, RI except it was about 4 times the size & much, much funkier. The shops, cafes, & restaurants were so much fun. I do not think we even began to tap in to all there was to see. That area is a trip in itself. We went to 1 craft store that featured lots of artists from all over the place, & we recognized so many of them from the blogging world. Hope left her card for the owner (who wasn't there at the time) & she received an email from her within a day. Apparently the chick who runs the shop is a big fan of Paper Relics & she wants to carry Hope's creations!! And Jes walked around wearing her gorgeous necklaces & shop owners took notice. She'll be carried in some cool local stores soon. We lunched at an area landmark, DeMillio's, a large cruise ship permanently docked in Old Town. I had a fab lobster roll. More detail about the food later. After a long day of shopping, chatting & laughing it was time to head to Jes' house to meet her family; Dogs-Dakota & Rudy, cat-Weezie (who made Hope & I very sneezie) & of course, the one & only Big Daddy.



Jes live on 17 acres of beautiful land in the an adorable old farmhouse. Her regular readers have seen pictures of the Plenty To Do Farm & it's lovely gardens. It was kind of surreal to see it all in person. I felt instantly at home. And I must give props to Big Daddy. He put up with us for 4 entire days. We can be very giddy, chatty Kathies when we are all together & he didn't seem to mind at all. In fact, he was so warm & sweet & invited us back anytime.


On our second day we headed to 2 adorable towns close by to Jes' home. Hope & I, both Aries, received gift certificates for Maine stores from Jes for our B-Days. Hope's was from a cool paper store in Wicasset (prettiest town in Maine) & mine was from a funky home/garden store called Brambles. I was truly impressed with the variety of shops, galleries, antiques, etc. I didn't realize that Maine had such a thriving artistic community. Each & every store had it's own special feel. They were designed with such attention to detail, each more interesting than the next. We finished our day by having a lobster bake back at Plenty To Do Farm with some of Jon & Jes' friends & family. We instantly all took to one another, which was so nice. A great time was had by all.



The third day was perhaps my favorite. We had lots of big plans, but we awoke & saw that it was raining again (over 2 weeks straight in N.E.), so we scratched them & decided to stay home. What fun we had! The three of us went up to Jes' craft room & made jewelry together. She has the most amazing craft room ever! The walls are the prettiest shade of blue & the floors are off white with delicate hand painted flowers scattered throughout. There was magic in the air as we all sat close, sharing paint, ribbon, brushes & words of encouragement. And it was cool to see how we all came up with such different designs. I'll cherish our crafting time together always! We than filled the rest of our day with computer lessons from Hope, nap time, & even a power walk. Yes, the sun did finally come out later that afternoon. To walk by trees, wild flowers, farm houses & cottages while smelling nothing but green grass, the wet earth - nature, was priceless. It sure beats the smell of car fumes that I'm used to here in the Big Apple.



We did so much in four days that it's hard to write it all down. The above is just a small sample. What I loved must about the trip was spending time with 2 wonderful, strong, intelligent, talented & kind-hearted women. We could have stayed at the farm the entire time, never venturing out & we still would have laughed & treasured this trip just as much. It's so very rare to connect with people on a deep level. We have only met in person once before & yet, it's as if we've been old friends forever. There's just such a comfort, ease & flow between us. And to think that we all met through the blogging world is kind of mind boggling. I'm very fortunate to have both of them in my life.


Jes is so very alive. She has this free spirit quality about her, yet she's very grounded. She's earthy, but has a bit of city hip, too. She's very honest, which I love. And she's such an amazing painter, gardener & artist. I felt inspired walking through her garden, sitting in her craft room, heck, even her downstairs bathroom, which she painted herself, got my creative juices flowing. Every time I wear the necklace she made for me, someone stops to ask wear I got it. Thank you Jes & Jon for welcoming me into your lovely home with open arms. Just thinking about Plenty To Do Farm makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

Hope is truly one of the kindest people I ever met. She just exudes warmth & generosity. She believes in people & wants to see those that she loves succeed & will help them in any way that she can. OMG & is she patient. Especially with me, the computer dummy. She has an artist style that is all her own. When you see a Hope Wallace collage, you instantly recognize it. And what an creative eye she has. Hope took lots of pictures on our trip & she truly is an amazing photographer. The way that she sees things, even a simple can of paint brushes, left me speechless. Thank you Hope for our late night girlie chats. You make me feel as if I can do/accomplish anything & that's what friends are for.

I personally had some revelations on this trip. There were moments where I just kind of sat back, watching Jes & Hope interact, almost feeling like I was viewing them from above. Is that an outer body experience? I haven't gone off the deep end, I swear. I was just reflecting a lot about my life, where I am & where I want to be. Discoveries were made & I shared them with Tom. I promise I'll share them with you soon. And I'll also share my Maine food experience, too. That deserves it's very own post.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 12:10 PM 13 comments

13 Comments:

115060329692390426">  

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Liquid Sky Arts said...

Maine looks so beautiful, I really loved seeing more pictures of Jess's garden, and home... 17 acres... that's just AMAZING! I'd be happy with even a 1/2! ;)

 
115064875507461967">  

At 12:39 PM, Blogger rashbre said...

Very interesting and lively post. My first visit here. I shall stay awhile and take a look around!

Maine looks great!

rashbre

 
115070885883343343">  

At 5:20 AM, Blogger Jessica Moreau Berry said...

What a fabulous post Dawn...you made me relive the weekend all over again! You also make me feel so special!! Thankyou, thankyou for your kind words...it makes the constant work on this crumbling abode seem so worth it!

I can't wait to hear about your "revelations"!!

I will make sure Big Daddy reads your and Hope's posts! He really adores the 2 of you!!

I made more necklaces with the hunks of amethysts that we found...I am REALLY, really having some fun working with it!!

 
115074930519726260">  

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

What a fabulous recap! :) Jes' gardens seem so beautiful (and 17 acres?! Um, what's that?!) Ha ha!

I'm so glad that you guys had your meet up -- sounds like a heavenly weekend to me! :)

 
115093778026263800">  

At 8:56 PM, Blogger i *heart* paper said...

Everything sounds dreamy!! What a great weekend :-)

 
115137315325373106">  

At 9:52 PM, Blogger kelly rae said...

oh, how wonderful. i've met some great people over here on the west coast through blogging. sounds like a great friendship the three of you have made!

 
115141820937099613">  

At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fabulous trip! And that farm! People who don't blog simply can't understand the friendships that develop out of it. Sometimes they feel deeper than many 'real life' friendships...maybe because blogging can be such an intimate medium in a way. It's so odd that something so public can lead to such private meaningful moments. Loved, loved, loved this post. And that food! Now that's some eatin'! :)

 
5777877776721363444">   5700231614617544190">  

At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

without reading everything and all comments from above I get the idea that most people do not mind what is being said in the first place but in the second place it really does matter what is being said. you know

Now some shameless plugs:


Computer networking experts in Cisco Voip, Cisco Call center, unity, Vmware Hosted solutions from
VOIP, MSoffice, QuickBooks, mas90, great plains, Solomon, online offsite backups and more

call for info
888-603-6333 x89
Scott


networking services networking support Network Installation cisco supportnovell support voip supportvirtual office support
tech support exchange server migration to exchange Colocation Hosting Services

 
9030226212366932613">  

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Dawn,

I tried emailing you but your inbox was full. I wanted to request that you kindly remove our link from the comment "colocation hosting services". If you have any questions please email me, this is for our mutual SEO benefit. Blog(at)colocationamerica(dot)com

Thank you kindly,

-James

 
3819861446167074740">   2854874648224727512">   8858838608608117446">