Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sum Sum Summertime






It's been a whirlwind of a summer. It seemed as though Tom & I were traveling every weekend. We headed to Virginia Beach, VA twice. Once for a retirement party for one of Tom's college professors & then back again a couple of weeks later to watch Kyle graduate from high school. Yup. He's away at college.. scary.


We went to Maine to visit Jes & Jon. It was a great trip! Jon took us out on his boat & we saw a baby seal & a bald eagle. We eat lots of lobster, hung out with some of Jes & Jon's cool friends, hiked, & visited an adorable town with old fashioned charm. Jes & I even had time to make some bracelets out of sea glass. We then spent a day with some of our NYC friends who now live in Portland, Maine. I love that town!! We tried to convince Tom to move there, but no such luck. His heart is in NYC.


Me & Jes

Picturesque Maine Town

We then ventured out west for a visit with Tom's sister in Fort Collins, Colorado. We spent some time babysitting our nephew Jackson. He's very cute! We hiked a bit, visited the funky downtown area, took walks on bike paths & relaxed with Tom's sis, a soon to be veterinarian. The rest of our weekends were filled with a trip to RI, the Police concert (they rocked!) Coney Island's annual Mermaid Parade & ventures around NYC.

Classic Coney Island

Blue Mermaids

And we are not done traveling, yet. This weekend it's back to RI for my cousin Becky's wedding & we are heading back to Costa Rica in a couple of months. I do hope this trip to Central America is a bit more relaxing than our last time there. I do not even want to see an ounce of mud. I never did continue the story after mudfest. The basic gist is that we moved to a different location (about an hour away). The place we stayed, Finca Los Caballos, was truly paradise!! I could ( & probably should have) stayed by their pool the entire time. Instead we ventured out to some waterfalls where we scaled cliffs & I got stung by god knows what & almost fell off of the cliff. We stumbled upon the strangest beetle I ever did see. We later found out is was an Egyptian beetle. How it ended up in C.R. I'll never know. We were stopped by the C.R. police for riding our mopeds without helmets & had to pay a fine. And on our very last day I packed for what I thought was going to be a chill day on the beach. That chill beach day involved a 3 &1/2 hour (yup.. we got lost in the jungle) hike through the swampy, bug infested rainforest, which I was not at all prepared for in my flipflops and sequined bathing suit. One flipflop broke and at one point I hiked barefoot. Tom was gracious enough to give me one of his hiking sandals & fashioned a sling for my other foot out of a beach towel and vines. Very MacGyver. We finally did arrive on that beach. The extra rocky, no darn place to lay a blanket & we were out of water, beach! I started to sob, only to be told by my husband, "There's no crying in the jungle!!! This is a life or death situation here!!". That made me feel better. We did make it out alive (obviously). Tom gave me his other sandal and he trekked through the jungle shoeless. What a guy. I made it very clear that the next trip to Costa Rica better not involve and f*&##ing nature crap!! I want to sit on a beach and be served Pina Coladas!!

The Lodge's Zen Pool

Montezuma Waterfall

Freaky Beetle

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 1:14 AM 4 comments

4 Comments:

9098336831846845312">  

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Liquid Sky Arts said...

I love traveling, even vicariously. That hike was quite a story, I'm so glad you guys made it out ok. Hiking in bare feet sounds terrible! I think you've got the right idea with the Pina Coladas on the beach for next time... I'll be with you there in spirit! ;)

 
3564592796340851785">  

At 1:54 AM, Blogger Jessica Moreau Berry said...

You have been a traveling chica this summer haven't you??!! Tom's son looks like a cutie! (just like dear crazy Tom)!

I vote that you two should move here like NOW!!!

See you soon!!!

xoxox

 
8433202939649797146">  

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Lisa Martin said...

that is one weird beetle!

 
3994291098362855017">