Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Bring Beano

Momma & I have been talking about what recipes we will cook the next time I come to RI. Top of the list is her escarole & bean soup. I haven't had it in years, but it truly is a classic. I want to serve it at my recipe tasting party(still no name) in June so, I better get my ass to my grandmother's house to learn her version of it.

When she heard about my interest in that recipe she said in the funniest voice ever, "You know that you'll have terrible gas after eating it, don't you? I told her that I wanted to serve it to about 8 people at my party & she laughed & told me to open lots of windows & have plenty of fans ready to move the air around. Our conversation went down the toilet(pun intended) from there. My family always talks about gas, farts & the like even at the dinner table. Our secret is out! Thank goodness that Tom's not easily offended because on his first visit with my relatives he awoke to Momma's twenty questions, "Did you sleep well? Was it warm enough in your room? How do you like you eggs? What do you put in your coffee? Did you move your bowels today? Honey(my grandfather) bring down the prune juice! Tom hasn't pooped yet!" Being raised around all of that probably explains why I absolutely love toilet humor. I think it's the most hilarious thing in the universe. Tom also has quite a fondness for it, which may be one of the reasons why he fits in so well with my family.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 9:18 PM 6 comments

6 Comments:

111339463528930894">  

At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post reminded me of a time when my mother and I were visiting a dear friend of hers who lived on the Upper East Side. She emerged one morning from her apartment's master suite, swathed in a kimono-style robe, flung out her arms and announced grandly, "I just had the most FABULOUS bowel movement!"

This post is rather timely for me...having just Hoovered 1-1/2 orders of garlic fries at the baseball game last night. They were positively the most garlicky things I've ever seen...and utterly delicious. I'm just sayin'... :)

 
111339922858159618">  

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

And after reading both your post, Dawn and your comment, Marilyn, I am reminded of the story that is told about one of our Paris friends (before I met him). I am told that one morning he emerged from the bathroom with a very satisfied smile on his face and announced "Ah, after love, eet ees the greatest pleasure of the day!"

-Elizabeth

 
111340512785787295">  

At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enuff said........lol

 
111350044834079854">  

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Marilyn & Elizabeth- your stories made me laugh. Thanks for sharing.
Shelagh, Yvonne & Lu- I'm so glad that I'm not alone & you all were not offended by my story. Maybe my family isn't so strange after all.

 
2405353297900059604">   7301635388934292221">