Monday, June 06, 2005

Mangia Mangia

My weekend trip to RI involved food. Lots of it. Saturday we had lunch at an Italian deli/cafe. I had grilled balsamic chicken with broccoli rabe - known in RI as robbies. Everyone else had sandwiches made with fresh tomato, basil, mozzarella & prosciutto. Later that night we celebrated my brother's BDay at a Japanese, Chinese & Thai restaurant. My family & I shared dumplings, spicy calamari, fried oysters, sushi, lemongrass shrimp, a pu pu platter & various rice & noodles. WHOO was I full!

Sunday we headed to the quaint, sea town of Wickford. My crafting friends would love it here. The shops include everything from hand-blown glass, galleries featuring local painters & photographers, handmade stationery & jewelry & lots of antiques. We went to a small, family, outdoor cafe & had a RI staple - clamcakes & New England clam chowder(milk & cream based). Clamcakes are basically dough balls that are loaded with the local clam variety - Quahogs. They are deep fried till the outside is extra crispy, but the center stays soft & flaky. Sunday late afternoon, there was my cousin's 2nd BDay party & we had BBQ, pizza, spinach pies, sausage & peppers. Tom & I probably gained 5 pounds in two days. If I lived with my family in RI I'd be huge!!!!

There was lots of eating but, not any cooking. I was suppose to have a recipe day with Momma, but she just wasn't up to it. She was a little under the weather & man was she grouchy! We were going to make escarole & beans soup & stuffed artichokes. I do have her recipe for the artichokes, but you all know that it does not mean a thing. It could be 100% incorrect. I'm going to give it a whirl anyway & go back in for a visit in July. O.k. I'm off to exercise & work some of the weekend food off of my hips!

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 2:11 PM 5 comments

5 Comments:

111816490178863752">  

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now THAT's some eatin!! :) So, was your family all beside themselves with giddiness over your engagement??

 
111816959479177434">  

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

My family was happy about the engagement. It wasn't really a big surprise since we've been planning/talking about getting married for a while. They were, however, surprised by the way he asked me to be his wife(as was I).

 
111820527598905542">  

At 12:34 AM, Blogger Jessica Moreau Berry said...

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! YUMMY!

Wickford sounds like a very fun place indeed!

 
115278650782089874">  

At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
»

 
398978348173486980">