Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Olio Struggles

There are 9 recipes left for testing. I decided to take a stab at Poppa's Olio recipe. Well, that's what he calls it. The real name is: Aglio E Olio E Aliche. Which basically means, oil & garlic with anchovies. It's one of the dishes for Xmas Eve's Feast of the Seven Fish. I've observed him cooking it 2 years in a row & wrote down each step. Unfortunately, Poppa didn't even come close to making the same thing for those two years. I think that maybe he's forgotten how to make the recipe. I take that back. I know he doesn't remember how to make this recipe. Last year it was inedible! You couldn't taste any garlic . And the anchovies couldn't be detected at all, which for some family members, is a good thing. It basically tasted like hot olive oil poured over linguini. This recipe is his pride & joy & he refuses to let me or anyone else make it on our hoilday. I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Last year, Poppa got up from the head of his table & headed toward the buffet to see how his Olio went over. Thank goodness he walks slowly & there were so many of us in that room to distract him, because his pasta had not been touched. Auntie Maria & I had just enough time to toss it into the garbage. All he saw was his empty platter.
"I guess I still got it. My pasta is all gone. Honey!" he yelled to my grandmother, "I told you we needed another pound."
"No poppa, we had just the right amount." replied Auntie Maria.
We didn't have the heart to tell him. I guess we'll have to pull another fast one this Xmas Eve.

So, I'm flying blind on this one. My first attempt was ok. The garlic & anchovy could definitely be detected, but, the black olives absorbed way too much of the salt from the fish. Tom & I winced each time an olive touched our tongues. I'll have to give it another try, much to Tom's dismay. He really does not like the flavor of anchovies, so it was difficult for him to help with the tasting. His suggestion was to lose those little fishy guys altogether. That is an entirely different sauce. The Olio saga shall be continued!

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 12:07 AM 4 comments

4 Comments:

5096161848485132163">  

At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

 
709926990052569449">   5379805341158305964">   6004883627283471276">