Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fiesta Bathroom


Tom and Kyle returned from Mexico safe and sound. They had a great time viewing Mayan ruins, scuba diving and just hanging out. Tom brought me back some goodies including this.
It's a hand painted ceramic sink. We decided that we are going to redo our bathroom.

We do rent our place so we've been avoiding a bathroom makeover. We are going to stay here at least a couple more years since our rent is low & it allows us to save money. The bathroom is the only room that we absolutely despise. We can scrub & scrub it but, it never really looks good. Our building is prewar and it has some lovely original features like moldings, hardwood floors with mahogany trim and even pretty glass door knobs. Our bathroom is also prewar with the original tiles which are crumbling and the bathtub isn't so great either. We are going to have someone resurface our bathtub and tiles. We'll paint it ourselves, put in a new floor and medicine cabinet and a new vanity. The pretty Mexican sink will be the centerpiece of that vanity and will inspire the rest of the decor. We would like it to be colorful with a slight tropical feel. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

In other news, while Tom was away on his Mexican vacation, I was in pretty Brookfield Connecticut for 5 days getting certified in this. It was hard work but well worth it. What a treat it was to spend almost all of my time using my creativity. And now I can offer these fab new services in my business.

If you find yourself with nothing to do this holiday weekend or the weather in your neck of the woods is less than perfect than check out this movie. It's the most entertaining one we've seen so far this year. It features a great ensemble cast including Steve Carell, Toni Collette and Alan Arkin and great new talent, too (the kids rock!). It's definitely quirky, fun, touching and laugh out loud funny.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 10:27 AM 11 comments

11 Comments:

115697062270887348">  

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Jessica Moreau Berry said...

OH ME OH MY...I am madlyinlove with that sink! It's just a beauty!

I can't wait to hear the details on the classes! We will have to do it over a fab dinner in Soho this October!

I am feeling OK...I did housework today, and cooked up a storm, but am a little tired at the moment and I think the couch is calling my name! LOL

love 'ya girl!

 
115708757917241885">  

At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well well

 
115710097950956393">  

At 4:56 AM, Blogger utenzi said...

Michele sent me, Dawn. You're up early!

That sink is....amazing. I don't think I want that much to look at in my bathroom though. You're very brave.

I saw a review of the Alice movie on television last week and they loved it. The website was a little grabby and didn't want to let me leave. Flash can be that way at times.

 
115723800572098487">  

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Lisa Martin said...

I'm so JEALOUS. Went to Playa del Carmen twice, saw some of these but couldn't figure out how to get them home! How'd they do it?

 
115729904600465931">  

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Tom carried it on the plane. He couldn't carry on toothpaste or hair gel, but the big heavy sink was allowed.

 
115747739492616827">  

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Liquid Sky Arts said...

What a beautiful sink... and congratulations on getting certified, how exciting! :)

 
115750348959724582">  

At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sink is amazing! Wow.

Reading about your bathroom plans inspired me. I've been dragging around thinking about, but never acting on all kinds of renovations/upgrades to my (also rented) 85 year old apartment. I hope you'll keep posting as you progress with your work because I'm going to keep checking back. I need as much help as I can get with this stuff!

(Arrived through Mrs. Mogul.)

 
115759896264667833">  

At 11:16 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

The sink is gorgeous!!!! I love blue + white pottery!

 
115773465359751291">  

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

I do hope it will be installed by the time you get here. That's the goal, though we've never done this type of thing before, so keep you're fingers crossed.

 
115850592533549791">  

At 11:12 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a GORGEOUS sink... My question would be...If you put this in here in your rented place, can you take it out when you leave there? If not, I might just save it till I owned whatever...but that's me! (lol)

 
115884711264921035">  

At 9:58 AM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Yes, we do get to take the sink with us when we leave. We just have to put the old one back in.