Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Showered With Surprises


Sunday was a very active day. First I met with "my girls". Have I ever mentioned them before? Well, over 2 years ago 6 highly motivated, creative & intelligent woman (I'm included in that number) formed a SUCCESS TEAM. Our main goal was & still is - to help each other accomplish our dreams. We meet once a month and brainstorm, teach, listen, support, vent, pass on knowledge & connections. We are always just a phone call or email away if anyone needs a shoulder to cry on or to bounce ideas off of. There are only 4 of us left because 2 of "my girls" saw their dreams come true. One is living & working in Madrid & the other is California dreaming. My Life With Garlic is the result of one of our brainstorming sessions.

I then met my dear friend Alex for a cooking class at the Culinary Institute. Alex's boyfriend is a graduate & currently works there, so he gets me into any class that I want. That's a big plus. But, I had a feeling that something more was going on besides just cooking. Tom asked me a couple of months ago for Alex's phone number. When I asked him why, his response was, "Don't you worry about it." Weird... I followed up by asking Tom if he ever got in touch with Alex & he said, "Why, what did Alex say?" Weird, again... Then I asked Alex if Tom ever called him & he said, "Tom, who?" Freaky..

So, I entered the classroom with a little apprehension because I just didn't know what to expect. And there in the room were some close friends from work, Tom, Alex, Caryl & Mike (parents of cutie, Jacqui). And they were yelling SURPRISE!!! In the distance I could see Alen (Alex's man) prepping food. I think everyone was a bit disappointed because I didn't truly seem surprised & they asked me if I knew about it. Well, I told them that I was a bit suspicious & I turned to a friend & asked if Alen was going to teach our cooking class. It was then, 10 minutes after I walked into the room, that I realized that this wasn't a cooking class at all, but a shower for me! DUH!!! I totally brain farted! I didn't even notice the stunning tiered cake or table with favors wrapped in pretty bows or the presents. Tom called it my Jessica Simpson moment.

Everything was beautiful! My 2 best friends Caryl & Alex, who never met each other before this, planned the whole thing. They're attention to detail was remarkable. The table was set just so with grand floral arrangements. Caryl wrapped the favors (wooden spoons) in pretty ribbons that matched the invitations. She brought one for me to put in my scrapbook. And there were pretty gold bags filled with chocolate truffles. The cake was truly gorgeous. It had 3 tiers. The bottom 2 featured small individual cakes & the top was one large cake for Tom & I to take home. We're going to save it for our 1st anniversary since we are not having a cake at the wedding.

We drank mimosas & Bloody Mary's. We chowed down on bagels with a variety of cream cheese & smoked salmon while Alen & his assistants cooked our brunch. We had a choice of Eggs Florentine; green tip asparagus & Brie omelette served with crisp bacon & potato hash; waffles with fresh fruit with maple pecan butter & plum compote. HMMMM! It was so good. Tom & I got some gorgeous gifts, some generous gifts, some sexy gifts & some down right funny gifts. I really had a great time & felt so special. I'm truly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life.


Co-host Caryl


Pals



Dream Team



Big Bloomers



Symbol of Good Luck and Long Life



Our Gorgeous Cake

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 1:36 AM 11 comments

11 Comments:

113768492196793937">  

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Alex, Hi honey!!! Yes, I promise to post pics. I'm still waiting for Miss Jeanette's photos. Once I get them, I'll add the most fabulous to the post. Promise.

 
113776524891636850">  

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Jessica Moreau Berry said...

AWESOME!!!!! What a cool surprise!

I LOVE how Hope redesigned this site for you Dawn....it fits your personality to a T! (hehe)

Now....why do I remember a different invite hanging on your fridge???

 
113777860082389342">  

At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Needs More pictures

 
113815911740645981">  

At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey puck - - so glad you added a pic of my Honey - - but where's ME!!!!!!

 
113825470867111816">  

At 12:51 AM, Blogger Lish said...

Sounds like a fabulous shower. Glad you had a great time.

 
113842513631354387">  

At 12:12 AM, Blogger Dina R. D'Alessandro said...

Hi, Dawn,

I stumbled across your blog sometime ago and check back every now and then--dig it! And you're from the 'hood, so that's cool.

I love the "Success Team" thing you have going. I have something similar, but we call ourselves the "Board of Directors." The premise is the same and I have to admit I love meeting with these gals because they're SO supportive. Plus, it gives me a chance to guarantee a regular outing with my friends.

Wishing you a great weekend!

 
113884764989581538">  

At 9:34 PM, Blogger i *heart* paper said...

Hi Dawn,
Congratulations, what a fun surprise!! Your invitations look amazing - the folks back in RI won't know what hit 'em! Speaking of RI...I read a funny little story about Italian Wedding Soup and thought of you - (you probably already know it, but I'll pass it on just in case). As you know, chicken escarole soup is pretty much served *everywhere* that caters weddings - most think it's called "Italian Wedding Soup" because Italians must serve it at weddings. (We both know that is false - smirk). The Italian name for the soup, Minestra Maritata, is a loose translation of "married soup", meaning the flavors marry in the broth. I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my chair.

I think your Success Team idea is marvelous!!

 
114049309795022631">  

At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FABULOUS, all of it! And you look GORGEOUS, by the way. Good for you and your friends for forming a success team and sticking with it...I love Barbara Sher's stuff.

 
3220002136258778701">   4155008643513205658">   7140340928927458184">