Friday, April 23, 2010

Labeled

Tom is off to visit his college aged son Kyle. It's a big party weekend up at Radford and Tom is going to hang out & help keep the boys from going too far off the deep end. Those of you who really know my husband are probably laughing at this thought. Tom is a wild child himself & has been known to party. I'm sure he can still hold his own even with those twenty something frat boys. Tom assured me that while he will not be a wet blanket on their festivities, he still must set some kind of an example.

I think it's kind of interesting sometimes that my hubby a.k.a. "wild child" & me a.k.a. "gets looped from one glass of wine" connected. We have many things in common such as basic moral values & beliefs, politics, interests etc., but Tom is wild at heart. I'm not. At least I do not think I am, though I so admire that trait in him.

I hear stories about his fun loving high school years and all those college pranks he played and get quite a chuckle out of them. And there are times that I feel even a bit of envy. It's not like I did not have some crazy ideas as a teen or in my early twenties. I fantasized about being footloose and fancy free quite often, but that's pretty much where it ended. Those thoughts were quickly replaced with worst case scenario images or pictures of family members disapproving faces. I was referred to as the one with "her head on straight" after all. How could I bunk school to go party or sneak out of the house in the middle of the night? No way. The label was too heavily ingrained.

Labels...tricky things. I'm very aware of them now that I have Leo. I will do my best not to call him wild child (even if he is) or the responsible one (even if I hope he is). I would like him to feel free to try new experiences even if they may be a bit wacky. Stepping out of the box can be very rewarding. You can find yourself out there & then have some interesting tales to share for years to come.

Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 11:04 AM 8 comments

8 Comments:

432883253569649824">  

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
6745840843671667831">  

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Deb said...

wow I was reading your post and I thought of my husband and myself...he was a wild child (with a good heart) I always worried about the consequences of what might happen...and one glass of wine makes me loopy too...great post...

 
7859047589148306023">  

At 9:53 PM, Blogger sandra p said...

I kinda love this post. It really makes me think about myself a bit because I was always the one in my family who did "the right thing". Being with a "wild child" i think is really the perfect balance because it reminds you to stop doing "the right thing" all the time and let loose a bit on occasion. And after spending 5.5 years with "the good boy" (and subsequently being bored to tears most of the time) I have come to appreciate the "wild childs" and bad boys just a bit more...they certainly know how to keep things interesting and certainly help bring the best out in us :).

 
6529107874009062514">  

At 5:36 AM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Sandra you are so right! I was also with a "good boy" for a very long time before Tom & there was something about knowing exactly what the rest of my life would have been like with him that scared me to death.

Some people like that & find comfort in it. Glad I chose the alternate route!

 
7070760878604125076">   1532195533217642463">   8500284108707508996">  

At 5:35 AM, Blogger terrialonso said...

I have created the blogrip.com/ steps in information on the best ways to mount the Here Musical.ly app. You simply need to open up the Play Store of Download Musical.ly Login APK Android Smartphone, PC & iOS your tool obtain checked in Musically and afterwards search your app Musically Login then install it.

 
5411551815383282444">  

At 12:50 AM, Blogger donfloyd139 said...

We have actually seen till now just what Mobdro the mobdro app is as well as what it could do. Now we will certainly give Check this Website you our honest review on mobdro. The app is efficient in addition to helpful.Mobdro App Download The UI is quick, smooth and also is really receptive.