Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Letter To Poppa

I was inspired by some other blogging friends who wrote beautiful letters to loved ones that they lost. It's been over three years since Poppa died & I miss him so much.

Dear Poppa,

There is so much that I want to say to you, but first I have to tell you that I'm so sorry. I've been reliving the last day I spent with you over & over in mind. I'm filled with such regret about it that sometimes it's overwhelming. We were alone in the living room & you looked up at me and told me you were tired. At first I did not understand what you were trying to say. I asked if you wanted to you lie down. Then you put your hand on mine & said, "Dawn, Poppa is tired." I cannot even remember what my exact response was but I know I told you to hang on.

I wish I would have said; "Poppa, I understand. You can let go. You have been fighting this disease so valiantly & you are hanging on for us but you no longer have to. We love you so much and we will all be fine. You're the strongest & greatest man I know. It's OK to go."

I also wish that I held you just a bit longer when I said goodbye. I was in denial & thought I would see you again. I was coming back the very next weekend. Tom knew that it was going to be your last time together. He later told me that you both looked at each other with that knowledge & shared a beautiful moment when you kissed goodbye. I just was not ready Poppa to lose you. Or face the inevitable & for that I apologize.

I think about you up in heaven sitting around a big table playing cards (screw your neighbor, of course) with your mom & dad, Uncle Eddie & Ralph, Auntie Camella & Uncle Frank, Lena, even cousin Al. I know you're all drinking coffee or great grandpas homemade wine, cursing like sailors & smoking cigarettes. I'm pretty sure in heaven you can have them except they do not leave your clothes or breath smelling foul or make you sick.

You are never far from our thoughts. Words cannot express how much we miss you & your wisdom. I swear that I feel your presence from time to time shining through our little Leonardo Felix. He's a wonderful boy & you would have adored him. He definitely has some of your traits. He loves life to the fullest, is a fan of traveling and going on new adventures. And he a huge foodie. All foods not just sweets. He oohs & aahs at the sight of it & has a great passion for it just like you. And he even likes some of your music. Not the slow Lawerence Welk stuff, but big band/swing.

Tom put together a video of us cooking your famous Easter frittata from years ago & we watched it on Christmas. It was so nice to see you joking, laughing & uttering your favorite phrase, "Someina bitch!." Leo is the ultimate mimic & I'm sure if you two boys hung around he'd be saying it all over NY. Watching you so full of life made me feel such gratitude. I was truly blessed to have you as my grandfather.

Thank you Poppa for being there for me now matter what & loving me unconditionally. Fathers came and went but you were a constant in my life.

Thank you for making me feel special. That was one of your true gifts. You made everyone feel that way. I'm sure if you asked all of your grandkids who was your favorite we would all respond "me".

Thank you for teaching me the value of hard work. You worked your entire life even after you retired. It kept you active and young at heart. And it taught me that things are not just going to be handed to me. If I want something I have to go out there & preserve.

Thank you for being a feminist. You probably did not think of yourself as one but you were. You always told me that women we superior creatures. You thought we were stronger & smarter & we needed to be treated as such. You told me that I could do anything a man could do including changing a tire and you went on to show me. You made me feel like I could do anything or be anything. And that if a man did not treat me well he was not worth the time of day. That saved me from lots of heartache.

Thank you for showing me that life is about exploring. You were happiest when you were traveling. And spoke fondly about trips to Italy and Hawaii. You liked meeting new people and hearing their story. You were always open to new things especially if there was a buffet involved!


Thank you for showing me the definition of real man. You worked to support your family and never complained. You could fix anything from cars to bikes to toasters. You were built like an ox but you were also man enough to cry & show affection. You kissed and hugged us even as adults. No hand shakes for the boys either. Big bear hugs & smooches. Real men show emotion. You cried when someone you loved was hurting or when you told me the story about losing your mom when you were 12yrs old. You cried when you were proud of us or when your beloved Yankees won the big game. Showing vulnerability was not a sign of weakness in your book.

The first year you passed the family celebrated your life in church with a special mass. It was fine but just did not feel right. It seemed far too serious a way to celebrate the life of a man that really liked to go out & have fun. And while you believed in God, I do not remember you being a huge church goer. So my family and I began a new tradition in honor of your birthday. It involves one of your favorite treats....ice cream.

Last year Leo was not yet one so we opted for frozen yogurt instead. This year we are going to celebrate true Poppa style with the real thing. Vanilla ice cream with chocolate fudge swirl in a waffle cone with jimmies on top. We'll tell Leo stories about his big Poppa and show him pictures. We will do this every year on April 27th, no matter where we are to celebrate you; a gentle giant with a big heart, who's spirit still lives with us today. Happy Birthday Poppa. You were & are so very loved. I hope you are up there eating a huge cannoli & washing it down with some coffee milk.






Posted by Dawn Falcone @ 10:35 AM 11 comments

11 Comments:

8949728713976769765">  

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous tammy r said...

Dawn,
How touching! I am sitting here in my office and the tears are just flowing. I lost my grandmother around the same time. She was my ROCK and I miss her everyday. Oh how I would love to just hug her or hold her hand or run my fingers thru her hair or tug on her stretchy skin, as my little on called it and then we would all giggle. I only wish I could express it as elequotely as you just did in your blog.

My thoughts are with you Dawn, he would be proud of you. Hey go to Lety's and have a Cannoli in his honor. As a matter of fact, even thought I did not know him personaly, Aaliyah and I will have one today for him.

Many hugs to you
Tammy

 
8405080909432133188">  

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Dawn Falcone said...

Tammy thank you for the sweet words. It so difficult isn't it? Losing someone who helped to shape the person you are.

I hope you & Aaliyah enjoy your Cannoli. Tom, Leo & I will be at Jahn's having a hot fudge Sunday in his honor!

 
3667791861428533899">  

At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Denise Falcone said...

Dawn,
I am sitting here crying. That was beautiful. You send most of the kind of man that he was but, there's not enough paper.

Love you,
Mommy

 
3806460387480655976">  

At 1:34 PM, Blogger rosa said...

Dawn,
your post is so touching...I can't stop crying and thinking of him .
Every single word you wrote made me think about the love he had for each of you....I could feel it and touch it...it was all around ....His words, his laughs...his hugs and kisses....his little things...everything was for you...
I could say you were so lucky....but you know that...very lucky.....such a privilege....
I'll tell you I was lucky to share time with him and to learn what love is......for his wife, his kids, his grandchildren.
I like to think he considered me as his Italian daughter....
For me he is undoubtely my American father...and I'm sure that in Heaven he's having fun with my dad...
Ok, now.....I'm going to buy vanilla icecream and cannoli....
Love you Dawn.

 
8089366210267826170">  

At 10:20 PM, Blogger internet tv said...

Nice Blog ,I love it, and please feel free to check my site~

Have fun to watch my Blog Live Internet TV

Foremylife

 
8536925391267597867">  

At 3:33 AM, Anonymous jim said...

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=1

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=11

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=2

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=22

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=8

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=246

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=91

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=15

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=21

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=24

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=23

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=125

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=13

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=20

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=16

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=4

http://www.smartbargainsus.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=221

 
8554441894650858139">   8814760863110573218">   4751867042065400556">  

At 5:52 PM, Blogger tamer said...



شركة الصيانة المنزلية بالمدينة المنورة شركة احباب طيبة
هل تعاني من كثرة مشكلات التلف داخل المنزل ولم تجد أفضل الحلول التي تساعدكَ على تخطي تلك المشكلات الصعب على الأشخاص العاديون القيام بحلها، ولكن لا قلق ولا خوف بعد الأن فنحن سوف نقدم إليكَ أفضل الحلول لعمل الصيانة المنزلية بالمدينة المنورة، فجميع سكان المدينة المنورة يعانون من وجود بعض من الأعطال المختلفة داخل منازلهم مثل تلف أدوات السباكة ومواسير المياه والصرف الصحي أو تعرض الأخشاب لأي نوع من الكسر أو احتياج عملاء المدينة المنورة لنجار يعمل على فك وتركيب الأثاث والأبواب والنافذ، أو وجود أعطال بالكهرباء وتلف الدهانات، فكل هذا وأكثر يوجد لدى شركتنا شركة الخدمات المنزلية بالمدينة المنورة، فشركتنا تتميز بالأمانة والمصداقية والشفافية فكل ما يرغب به العميل سوف يجده لدى شركتنا، كما أ، الشركة تعمل على تقديم العديد من خدمات الصيانة المنزلية بأقل وأرخص الأسعار التي تتناسب مع جميع عملاء المدينة المنورة.


فني سباكة بالمدينة المنورة
فني كهربائي بالمدينة المنورة
معلم بوية بالمدينة المنورة
رقم سباك بجدة
رقم كهربائي بجدة
رقم دهان بجدة
رقم فني دش بجدة
نجار بجدة
لزيارة موقعنا
https://ahbabelmadina.com


 
4622972299160545068">  

At 4:48 AM, Blogger Peter parker said...

Fix held deposit issues on Binance Support
Facing errors in Binance is a quite obvious and the recent error face by the users is unable to handle deposit issues. To tackle deposit issues in an appropriate manner, don’t feel shy to call on the Binance phone number on the spot. The adroit executives are active round the clock to assist and support users in their difficult times. Connecting to these gems is the wise decision to get rid of the Binance issues.
Binance Support Phone Number
For more info: http://www.cryptophonesupport.com/exchange/binance/

 
3428692727576885965">  

At 4:22 PM, Blogger deraz said...

قمر الامارات
السبب الاساسى وراء التمتع بصحة جيدة خالية من الامراض والبكتيريا والميكروبات فالاتربة والقذارة لا تجلب الا المرض والصحة المعتلة.بالاضافة للتمتع بالصحة ايضا النظافة عنوان الاناقة والرقى فلا يعقل ابدا ان يكون هناك مكان انيق وهو غير نظيف
شركة تنظيف كنب راس الخيمة
شركة تنظيف سجادراس الخيمة